Lehman College, Bronx Business for Everybody

The Bronx Chamber of Commerce donated this business collection to Lehman College on August 31, 1988. The 429 digitized items shown on this site, are largely from the Bronx Board of Trade years-- focusing on the 1920s through the 1950s.

Learn More About the Collection

Pages

PAL's Summer Camp In Adirondack Mountains For Boys
Group photo of boys at 'Fox Lair' in the Adirondacks which provided summer vacation for 500 boys, many from the Bronx. The Police Athletic League (PAL) covered the three week vacation at no cost to the children's families.
Paintings On Display At North Side Savings Bank
A bank depositor and neighbor displays his oil paintings in the lobby of the branch on Bainbridge Ave. & E. 206th St.
Parkchester Theme Of 47th Anniversary Banquet
Background on the Parkchester development of Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.; and report on Bronx defense contracts. In-- Bronxboro, Vol. XVIII, Nos. 10-11, pp. 2-3.
Parkchester Will Aid Growth Of The Bronx
Description of the housing development built by Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., on the former site of the old New York Catholic Protectory. In--Vol. XVII, No. 10-11, p.8.
Parks For New York City
Resolution endorsing the annexation of parks and territory by New York City. In--Minutes of Meetings, Vol. 1, p. 128.
Paul J. Rainey Memorial Gates
Sculpted gates at the entrance to the Bronx Zoo, or New York Zoological Park (renamed the Wildlife Conservation Society), at Pelham Pkwy. Paul Manship, the sculptor, also created Prometheus at Rockefeller Center.
Pine Hill Crystal Spring Water Co.
Shown is an electric office water cooler filled with pure water from Pine Hill. From its 517 E. 132nd St. site, the company bottles water which has been used at Rockerfeller Center and Radio City Music Hall. The company also distills water for medicinal and manufacturing use and rents, sells and services its own water dispensers.
Ping Pong At The PAL Youth Center
Edward P. Lynch PAL Youth Center at 974 E. 156th St. & Beck St. A ping pong tournament under way.
Pisers Anniversary Modernization
Pisers, the largest furniture department store in the Bronx, at Third Ave. & 150th St., is creating a modernized front entrance to mark its 81th Anniversary. The architect who designed the new store front is Alexander Zamshnick.
Plan For new North Side Savings Bank
Architectural plan for the new bank Main office at West 231st St. Note railroad bridge for the Putnam division of the New York Central Railroad on the right.
Playground At E. 134th Street
View of the reconstructed and enlarged playground at E. 133rd th St. and Willis Ave. at the Bruckner Blvd. The area was acquired by the the City in 1904 and was controlled by the Dept. of Bridges for access to the Willis Ave. Bridge. The unused portion of the access road was designated a public park in 1916 and became a playground in 1930, one year following the 150th anniversary of the death of the Polish military commander Casimir Pulaski (1748-1779) who aided the American cause during the Revolutionary War. At the time that the playground was constructed, there was a small Polish population in the neighborhood. The playground was reconstructed and enlarged with improvements by the WPA (Works Progress Adminstration) under the supervision of the Parks Dept. and was rededicated to Pulaski in 1939.
Playground At University Avenue
Proposed playground to be constructed at University Ave. & 168th St.
President Truman In The Bronx
Photograph showing President Harry S. Truman during a Nov., 1948 campaign visit to the Bronx as he passed Drake High School on the Grand Concourse. In-- Vol. XXVI, No. 8, p. 14.
Proposed Arterial System For The Post War Bronx
Anticipating extensive post war construction, this plan calls for city, state and federal funding for expanded highways and roadways. In-- Bronxboro, Vol. XXI, Nos. 10-11., pp. 19, 38-39, 42.
Proposed Playground In Morrisania
Plan for proposed playground adjacent to Lester Patterson Houses, and P.S. 18. The school ison E. 147th St. and the playground was at Morris Ave. & E. 148th St.
Proposed Port Morris Terminals
Plan for Port Morris Terminals by Sullivan W. Jones, architect. This ambitious project was never carried out and succumbed to the Great Depression.
Proposed Recreation Facilities At Van Cortlandt Park
Plan showing proposed extension of recreational facilities on the west side of the park. While ball fields were built, this plan was not completely implemented.
Prospect Hospital
Architectural drawing of Prospect Hospital by Theodore L. Soontup, architect. This private hospital was located at 930 Kelly St. The founder of the hospital had a holistic aproach to healing. He brought in musicians to play soothing music for the patients; and saw that original art work was displayed in rooms and corridors. No operations were performed at the hospital and patients were referred out for surgery. The hospital was in the vicinity of the Longwood Historic District.
Public Housing Projects In The Bronx
A two-page spread featuring architects' plans or photographs of twelve public housing projects that are completed, or are being contemplated or proposed for construction in Bronx County. These include--Bronx River, Clason Point, Eastchester, Gun Hill, Lester W. Patterson, Marble Hill, Melrose, Parkside, and Sedgwick Houses. Two temporary Veterans Emergency Projects are included for Castle Hill and Bruckner Houses. In--Bronxboro Vol. XXVII, No. 6, pp. 8-9.
R. Hoe & Co., Inc.
The main plant of R. Hoe & Co., Inc., known for its rotary printing equipment, presses and saws, located on the East River at 138th St. The company took over the site in the 1920s, with buildings from an ice box company. Hoe added buildings and the site took up three city blocks for their corporate offices, assembly facilities, and its Saw Division.
R. Hoe & Co., Inc.
Interior view showing various printing presses being constructed. Shown in the front right is an order for the Pittsburgh Press; and on the front left for the Watertown Bible & Tract Society.
R. Hoe & Co., Inc.
Interior view showing the Hoe Color convertible rotary newspaper printing press unit being prepared for shipping intact. The company was ahead of its times in producing color newspaper printing and went bankrupt in 1973.
R. Hoe & Co., Inc.
The work of the world's largest printing equipment manufacturer is described. R. Hoe & Co. converted its plant during World War II to create ordnance material under contract to the U.S. Army. In-- Bronxboro, Vol. XXV, No. 10-11, pp. 11-12.
R. Hoe & Co., Inc.
Interior view showing the main floor of the plant where presses of all sizes and types are assembled and tested prior to shipping.
R.C. Williams & Co.
This wholesale grocery distributor moved from Manhattan to the Hunts Point area due to its proximity to the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad yards at Oak Point and Leggett Ave. Deliveries from all parts of the country come right to the company's doors. Siegel & Green were the building's engineers and architects. R.C. Williams leases the facility from the owner, Providence Produce Warehouse Co.
R.O.T.C. Marching Below The Hall Of Fame For Great Americans
New York University's R.O.T.C. students, in uniform and marching on campus below the Hall of Fame. The Reserve Officer Training Corps program gives students the opportunity to study to assume leadership in areas of the infantry, signal corps, engineering or the air force.
RKO Fordham
View of the RKO movie theatre on Fordham Rd. Also shown are other stores, including Alexander's department store on a busy Fordham Rd.
Rae Metal Products Co.
Company headquartres at 403 Concord Ave. & 144th St. near St. Mary's Park. Note telephone wires next to building.
Raggamuffin Parade Along Alexander Ave.
Children march along Alexander Ave. south of E. 138th St. in a Raggamuffin Parade sponsored by PAL (Police Athletic League). The apartment buildings shown on the left were torn down for the John Purroy Mitchell Houses after World War II. The 40th Police Precinct building is on the left and is part of the Mott Haven Historic District.
Railroad And Bus Terminal At 138th St. Nearer Reality
Bronx Borough President Lyons proposes making the Bronx a major railroad transportation center tied together with buses, highways and docks. In: Scrap Book. May 1943 - April 1949. (p. 41)
Recreation, Education and Research Through Plants
Besides being a recreational site for beautiful flowers and trees, the Garden is a world renowned institution whose scientists conduct experiments, and study plant breeding and diseases. As part of its educational mission, the Garden also offers lectures, radio programs, information services and courses. In--Bronxboro, Vol. XXIII, Nos. 10-11, pp. 44, 63.
Refrigerator Donated To Junior Achievement
Tracy Refrigeration Co. donates a refrigerator to the new Junior Achievement Business Center at 390 E. 150th St. Junior Achievement encouraged young people to learn and develop good business practices.
Rice Stadium
Rice Stadium originally included a complex of athletic facilities (swimming pool, bathhouse, bleachers and a 100 foot white marble Doric column) in Pelham Bay Park. Shown here is the concrete Rice Memorial Stadium designed by Herts & Robertson. Atop the bleachers is a small Greek temple holding the statue 'The American Boy' by sculptor Lous St. Lannes. View of the concrete Rice Memorial Stadium designed by Herts & Robertson and topped by a small Greek temple holding the statue 'The american Boy' by the sculptor Louis St. Lannes. This photograph seems to be an early view of the stadium which was built as part of a complex of athletic facilities (swimming pool, bathhouse, bleachers and a 100 foot white marble Doric column) that no longer exists.
Roads, Colleges and Schools
References to the Grand Concourse; location of Hunter College; and property for Theodore Roosevelt H.S. In--Minutes of Directors Meetings, Vol. 11, p 214.
Rogers Department Store
View of Francis Rogers & Sons department store (now Sear's) at 400 E. Fordham Rd. between Park and Webster Aves. Shown in the foreground is the roof of the entrance to the Third Ave. El station.
Roses In Bloom At The Garden
View of rose garden and gazebo at the New York Botanical Garden.
Rotunda Of The Hall Of Fame For Great Americans
Landmark arcade designed by McKim, Mead and White to house the bronze busts of prominent Americans from a variety of fields. The site was formerly the Bronx campus of New York University. Today it is the home of Bronx Community College, CUNY.
Sail Boat On City Island
Unidentified boat yard at City Island, known for its boat and yacht building.
Sail Into Security
The newly redecorated and expanded office of the Franklin Society Federal Savings and Loan at 1 East Fordham Rd. & Jerome Ave. 'Desiree,' a 22-foot Olympic Star Boat, gave the Open House its theme, 'Sail into Security' with a savings account at the bank. Also shown are automobiles, a Surface Transit bus, the IRT #4 elevated subway line, and other businesses in the Singh Building.
Salvation Army Annual Appeal
Salvation Army officials and Bronx women volunteers gather at the College for a tea following a successful annual canvass of Bronx apartment houses for contributions.
Salvation Army Training College
Located at 1771 Andrews Ave., this site was used by the Salvation Army to train its officers. Built in a neo-Jacobean style in 1908 by architect Charles Brigham, the building was originally the Messiah Home for Children.
Saturday Classes At The Garden
Garden teacher explains how to grow good plants to children and their mothers.
Schorch & Co.
Headquarters of paper bag manufacturer Schorch & Co. at 120 Bruckner Blvd. and E. 145th St..
Scrap Drive Committee, 1951
Scrap Drive Committee members shown at the Bronx Board of Trade headquarter offices. Scrap was needed for the Korean War effort and a shortage of materials.
Seven-up Bottling Co., Inc.
Soda bottling plant located at 656 E. 133rd St. near Cypress Ave. and north of the railroad yards.
Sinking Of Coal Barge At High Bridge (1 of 3)
Aftermath of the June 13, 1918 sinking of a coal barge, wrecked when it was forced by swift currents and high winds into one of the High Bridge piers in the main channel of the Harlem River. In the distance is the Washington Bridge (opened in 1889).
Sinking Of Coal Barge At High Bridge (3 of 3)
Aftermath of the June 13, 1918 sinking of coal barge at High Bridge.
Sinking Of Coal barge At High Bridge (2 of 3)
Aftermath of the June 13, 1918 sinking of coal barge at High Bridge. In the distance is the Washington Bridge.
Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Children
View of the Society's new shelter on the east side of the Grand Concourse & McClellan St. (The building is today used for a girls club and other purposes.)
Southern Blvd. & E. 180th St.
View at the intersection of Southern Blvd. & East 180th St. Crotona Parkway is on the left and Southern Boulevard is shown on the right of the street median. Traffic ran in both directions on these roadways and a trolley car is on the right. On the left is one of the R. Santini Co. (moving and storage) offices. The store around the corner has a sign in Hebrew, a reminder that this neighborhood had a large Jewish population. Dr. Jehiel Kling and his wife poet Berthe Kling had a large apartment nearby that they opened, on weekends and holidays, to Yiddish writers. In this sort of literary salon, the writers enjoyed a buffet meal and presented their work. Another group met more informally on a rock outcropping at the north end of Crotona Park. Among the Yiddish writers in the area during this period were Anna Margolin, Aaron Glanz-Leyeles and Joseph Rolnick. Their work, written in the early decades of the 20th century, was later translated from Yiddith into English.

Pages

Islandora Bookmark

Bookmarks: