CUNY Graduate Center Collection, 34th Street

This collection is a collaborative project between the Mina Rees Library, the Seymour B. Durst Old York Library, and the Gotham Center for New York City History, is a montage of 246 images of Thirty-fourth Street, past and present. Contemporary images were taken by photographer Jeanette O’Keefe during the summer of 2010. These color street shots contrast beautifully with the historic images of Thirty-fourth.

Learn More About the Collection

Pages

New Post Office Building.
West 34th Street between West 33rd and 35th Streets. Caption reads: "New Post Office Building situated between 31st and 33d Streets. This handsome building was completed in 1913 at the cost of $6,200,000. It faces the Pennsylvania Terminal and is built over the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The building covers a plot 375 by 335 feet and was built of granite in classic style architecture." The bordered photograph shows a couple walking along the sidewalk and several horse-drawn carts or carriages going down the street.
New York Homeopathic Dispensary, 109 West 34th Street.
New York Homeopathic Dispensary opened in 1860.
New Yorker Hotel.
Wide angle view of New Yorker Hotel, Eighth Avenue and 34th Street.
North-western Dispensary, Ninth Ave corner 36th Street.
Northwestern Dispensary was established in 1852 to provide medical assistance to New York City’s poor and indigent populations.
Nos. 1351 to 1369 Broadway, between Thirty-sixth and Thirty-seventh Streets. Marlborough Hotel - The Toggery Shop - Young's Hats - Harris and Co., Tailors - Crawford Shoe - A Jewelry Store - Sarnoff, Hats - and Regal Shoes at the corner of Thirty-seventh
Broadway between 36th and 37th Streets. Exterior view of the Hotel Marborough along with adjoining businesses and buildings; the image also depicts cars, horse-drawn carriage and pedestrians.
Old Residence on Murray Hill, Lexington Avenue near 37th Street on the Old Boston Post Road, 1858.
A print depicting three residential homes each with a fenced in yard with trees. In the yard of the nearest structure, there is a man in a horse drawn work cart and several cows grazing.
Old White Cottage, 34th Street and 11th Avenue.
Nineteenth-century illustration of a cottage on 34th Street.
Oppenheim Collins & Co, ca. 1930's.
Oppenheim Collins & Co. Department Store, 35 West 34th Street. The first floor is highlighted by a number of window displays as well as a large yawning. A series of parked cars are visible in front of the building.
Oppenheim Collins Building, 35 West 34th Street.
This building once housed Oppenheim Collins and Company. Founded in 1871 by Albert D. and Charles J. Oppenheim, Oppenheim Collins was originally a New York City skirt manufacturer, later branching into department stores catering to women. The first store was opened in 1901. The lot for this building was bought in 1910. It was during this time that department stores were moving from downtown to the 34th Street area. The building housed the company headquarters and the stores expanded into several major cities. In 1945, City Stores Company gained control of the chain and later Oppenheim Collins merged with Franklin Simon & Company, the name of the chain being liquidated by 1963.
Park Avenue & vicinity.
An image of Park Avenue looking north from 33rd Street, depicting Park Avenue Tunnel that passes under Park Avenue and leads uptown towards Grand Central Terminal. MetLife Building, originally called the Pan Am Building, in background.
Park Avenue Hotel, Park Avenue & 32nd Street.
The Park Avenue Hotel at the corner of Park Avenue and 32nd Street.
Park Avenue.
Park Avenue view heading North toward 34th Street.
Path train entrance, 32nd Street & Sixth Avenue, looking west.
Exterior view of Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) station at 32nd Street with the Manhattan Mall in the background, formerly the Gimbels flagship store.
Penn Station and the corner of 7th Avenue and 34th Street (back)
The back of the postcard has a handwritten note. Dated July 11, 1911, the postcard is addressed to Mrs. Ella Bidwell of Prairie City, Iowa. It reads, "Dear Mother, I arrived in New York yesterday, 3 pm. Had a fine trip. We are seeing the sights today, stop
Penn Station and the corner of 7th Avenue and 34th Street.
This color postcard shows the old Pennsylvania Station from the corner of 7th Avenue and 34th Street. The Classical façade of columns is visible. Built by McKim, Mead & White in 1910, Penn Station was demolished in 1962 to make way for the Penn Plaza complex which includes Madison Square Garden. Though the underground where the Long Island Railroad and Amtrak stop is still called Penn Station, this was the name of the now-demolished building. In the postcard's foreground colored in red with blue-gray flat roofs are tenements. The caption reads, "Bird's-eye view of the P.R.R. depot, New York."
Penn Station with crowds, including soldiers in uniform, July 7, 1941.
West 33rd Street and BroadwayInterior shot of original Penn Station from 1941 featuring a huge crowd, including soldiers in uniform.
Pennsylvania Hotel exterior, 401 Seventh Avenue and 33rd Street.
Photograph featuring the exterior of the Pennsylvania Hotel.
Pennsylvania Hotel.
401 Seventh Avenue, between West 32nd and West 33rd Streets. Caption reads: "Pennsylvania Hotel. One of the world's largest hotels, the finest of the chain of Statler Hotels. A popular meeting place for New Yorkers. Has 2200 rooms." Facing the hotel in the foreground is the old Pennsylvania Station columnade. The hotel was built in 1918 by McKim, Mead and White.
Pennsylvania Station - bird's-eye View.
West 34th Street and Eighth Avenue. Aerial view of the original Penn Station designed by architects McKim, Mead and White. The image has a view of various rooftops and of pedestrians on the street below. Madison Square Garden in presently standing on this location.
Pennsylvania Station square clock.
Pennsylvania Station square clock hanging above 34th Street entrance west of 7th Avenue.
Pennsylvania Station, New York - the dining-room.
33rd Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues. Image of the dining room of the old Penn Station.
Pennsylvania Station, New York - the kitchen.
33rd Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues. Image of the kitchen in the original Penn Station.
Pennsylvania Station, New York.
The signal and switch tower in the yard at the west end of the station, showing overhead rails which supplement the third rail on the ground for carrying over switches. Entrance to the tunnels under the Hudson River can be seen in the middle distance. The area is commonly called the Hudson Yards. West 28th Street on the South, Seventh and Eighth Avenues on the East, West 43rd Street on the North, and the Hudson River on the West.
Pennsylvania Station, New York. The main waiting-room, the largest room of the kind in the world.
Seventh to Eighth Avenues, 31st to 33rd Streets. Image showing magnificent Beaux-Arts architectural features such as vaulted ceiling and fluted Corinthian columns. Travelers are moving through the vast concourse. The author of the article, W. Symmes Richardson, was an engineer and a partner of Charles McKim.
Pennsylvania Station, New York. General view, showing the east and north fronts, Seventh Avenue and Thirty-third Street.
An aerial shot with a good view of the tenements in the vicinity of Pennsylvania Station.
Pennsylvania Station, New York. Thirty-third Street carriage driveway, looking east.
33rd Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues. The image is from an article in a bound volume of essays from various sources entitled "Magazine Articles on New York City". The writer of the article, Symmes Richardson, was an engineer and a partner of Charles McKim.
Pennsylvania Station, New York. View of the main waiting room, 315 feet wide, 150 feet high.
Seventh to Eighth Avenues, 31st to 33rd Streets. Image taken from behind a Doric column highlighting the breadth of the space. The author of the article featuring this illustration was W. Symmes Richardson, an engineer and a partner of Charles McKim.
Pennsylvania Station, interior of station, brass handrails on train platform.
Brass handrails on train platform that were part of the original Penn Station, 34th Street.
Pennsylvania Station, two views of façade.
Seventh Avenue between 31st and 33rd Streets. Exterior views of the station's main entrance, from north and south of Seventh Avenue featuring horse-drawn delivery wagons.
Popham & Co., Coal and Wood.
A nineteenth-century advertisement for Popham & Co., Coal and Wood.
Rail yards and elevated section of 11th Avenue, looking north from 29th Street.
Image depicting the rail yards on the west side of Manhattan during the construction of the elevated part of 11th Avenue through and above them. There is a three paragraph news clipping pasted on the verso which is entitled: "Traffic Tangle In 11th Ave. to End Tomorrow - Elevated Sections at Yards of N.Y. Central to Take Autos to Separate Level".
Rapid Transit Work at 4th Ave & 33rd Street.
Depicts a subway construction site along Fourth Avenue at 34th Street.
Reception Room, Stewart's Hotel for Working Women.
Park Avenue and 33rd Street. Illustration of the reception room of the Women's Hotel where residents would meet male visitors. The Hotel re-opened as a regular hotel and re-named to the Park Avenue Hotel two months after the Stewart's Hotel for Working Women opened.
Region of bone-boiling and swill-milk nuisances, 1865.
Map of slaughterhouses, bone-boiling establishments, lumber yard, manure yard and pork-packing houses on 10th and 11th Avenues between 37th and 40th Streets in 1865.
Section through 33rd Street at Sixth Avenue and Broadway.
An architectural rendering of a cross-section view of the underground and elevated transportation network at 34th Street and 6th Avenue, Herald Square. Includes views of the IRT, the BMT, and Hudson & Manhattan Railroad lines. Rendering by Arthur Weindorf.
Sixth Avenue 32nd to 33rd Streets.
Photograph of the 6th Avenue El, Actors Fund Fair booth, theater posters, Saks 34th St. Store, Shepard's Motion Pictures theater, and a row house demolition along 33rd Street are depicted.
Sixth Avenue at 32nd Street, now the site of the Gimbel Store.
A four story retail and residential building which was the future site of Gimbels Department store. Signage indicating that the storefront is occupied by a business named "McDonald's". On the roof is a billboard partially illegible which reads "Benedictine."
Sixth Avenue looking north from Thirty-second Street, with elevated structure removed.
Exterior north view of 6th Avenue from 32nd Street, including view of Gimbels department store and Greeley Square. Depicts cars, trucks and pedestrians. Inscription: Signed by architect Oliver Whitwell Wilson, 1902
St. Mary's Free Hospital for Children, West Thirty-Fourth Street, New York.
Image of front façade of Saint Mary's Free Hospital for Children, 407 West 34th Street.
St. Michaels Church. View on the Northwest Corner of 31st Street & 9th Avenue.
This is a print of the church originally occupying the corner of 31st Street and 9th Avenue which had to be moved (or a portion of it) to make way for Pennsylvania Station.
Stewart's Hotel for Working Women, Fourth Avenue and Thirty-second Street.
Fourth Avenue and 32nd Street. Stewart's Hotel for Working Women was commissioned by the wealthy merchant, A.T. Stewart. The hotel opened in 1877 to provide safe housing for the influx of working women into the city. It was soon reopened as a regular hotel in 1878 and renamed the Park Avenue Hotel. The building was demolished in 1927.
Subway construction for the 7 Line.
The southeast corner of 36th Street and Eleventh Avenue shows the construction of the 7 subway line, which will eventually run to the Jacob K. Javitts Convention Center on the West Side. Midtown buildings rise behind while signs near the corner explain what the construction is doing.
Sugarman & Berger, Architects drawing of the New Yorker Hotel.
Photograph of an architectural drawing of the New Yorker Hotel, Eighth Avenue and 34th Street. Hotel designed by Sugarman & Berger. Caption on back of the photograph states "Architect's drawing of the New Yorker, to rise between Thirty-fourth and Thirty-fifth Streets."
Tenement building.
37th Street and Tenth Avenue. This is one of the last tenement buildings left. Originally built to house New York’s poor, tenement buildings covered the West Side and other parts of the city. This building is next to an abandoned gas station as well as a billboard.
The 71st Regiment Armory at Park Avenue & 34th Street.
Armory of the Seventh-first Regiment at Park Avenue and 34th Street.
The Altman Store, Central Aisle, Main Floor.
34th Street. Illustrated interior view of B. Altman & Co. store with shoppers.
The Altman Store, Elevators, Main Floor.
34th Street. Illustrated interior view of B. Altman & Co. store with shoppers.
The Altman Store, Madison Avenue and Thirty-fifth Street.
Illustrated exterior view of B. Altman & Co. store from corner of Madison Avenue and 35th Street.
The Altman Store, Physician's Offices.
34th Street. Illustrated interior view.

Pages

Islandora Bookmark

Bookmarks: