Baruch College, Institute of Public Administration Collection Printed Materials and Reports, 1907-1959
The New York Bureau of Municipal Research (BMR), later the Institute of Public Administration (IPA), was a private, non-profit, educational and consulting organization formed by civic-minded plutocrats to battle corruption and foster the creation of an efficient, honest and professional government. Founded in 1905-1906 as the Bureau of City Betterment, the BMR was incorporated in 1907 and quickly won the ouster of the Manhattan Borough President. In 1911 it founded the nation’s first Training School of Public Service to prepare public managers for work in government service. In 1921 it was reorganized as the National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA) and in 1931 as the Institute of Public Administration. The organization was dissolved in 2004. The collection documents the activities of IPA during its almost century-long existence and includes reports, drafts and publications of surveys and studies; meetings of the board of trustees, promotional brochures, newsletters, and bulletins; and the records of various individuals who worked for the BMR and IPA.
For a full finding aid of this collection, or to visit the collection in person, visit our website at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/library/alumni/archives/IPA.html. The IPA Collection is housed in the Archives and Special Collection Division of the William and Anita Newman Library of Baruch College, City University of New York. Baruch College is one of 10 senior colleges of CUNY and offers baccalaureate, masters and doctoral programs to students who want to enter careers in business, public affairs, and the arts and sciences. The Baruch College Archives collects and preserves materials pertaining to the history of the college, as well as special collections related to the many programs offered by the college.