Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street. Dr. Townsend's Residence. Built: 1853-1855. Razed: 1864. Northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street.Originally built by Samuel P. Townsend, the patentee of sarsaparilla. The house was sold to Dr. G. Abbott in 1862 who conducted seminary for young ladies. The Townsend home was eventually replaced by the A.T. Stewart Mansion which was then razed to make way for the Empire State Building.
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Townsend, Samuel P. -- Homes and haunts
Fifth Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Digitized by Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.